Monday, June 14, 2010

Blog Hop Project Details

Happy Monday!

I hope you enjoyed this past weekend's Retiring Blog Hop!  As promised, here are some more details about my projects...

So first off, the altered mini clipboard.. this was so much fun to make!  I bought this mini clipboard for a little over a dollar at an office supply store.  It's the perfect size for one of those smaller memo pads, or to hang from a wall with a mini calendar or treasured photo.


I first measured and cut a piece of Whisper White cardstock, punching the top end with the Scallop Edge Border Punch, then adhered a piece from The Write Stuff Specialty DSP.  Make sure you use adequate amounts of adhesive.. you want this to be completely adhered to prevent air bubbles.  I then applied a découpage medium to the back of the Whisper White piece, as well as to the clipboard.  Next, I laid the paper down, smoothing out all air bubbles with my bone folder.  With the help of my Stamp-a-ma-jig, I stamped the little guy from the stamp set in the corner with Soft Suede Classic ink, and colored him in with ink pads/Blender Pen and markers.  (Remember that even though Blush Blossom is retiring, SU! will still carry the Stampin' Write marker.)  I then inked up the edges of the entire thing with Soft Suede ink and a Stampin' Sponge, and tied some Crushed Curry ribbon along where the DSP ends.

I wanted to cover up the office store's name on the clip, so I decided to try out one of those paper roses I had been seeing everywhere.  To create my rose, I actually followed an awesome tutorial by Julie Williams, which you can see here.  I tied some Linen Thread around the clip, then attached the rose with some Pop-up Glue Dots.  It adds so much to the clipboard, and makes it a little feminine.  So cute!


Altered Mini Clipboard supplies:
Stamps:  Very Thankful (retiring)
Ink:  Soft Suede, Tempting Turquoise and Old Olive Classic Stampin' Pads
Paper:  Whisper White and Crushed Curry (retiring) cardstock, The Write Stuff Specialty Designer Series Paper (retiring)
Accessories/Tools:  Pretty in Pink and Blush Blossom Stampin' Write Markers, Blender Pen, Linen Thread, Crushed Curry 1/2" Polka-Dot Grosgrain Ribbon (retiring), Scallop Edge Border Punch, Stampin' Sponges

I also created a matching gift card holder, based by Holly K.'s 3-D Challenge over at Stampin' Addicts:


It's very simple!  Holly gives instructions and measurements in the link above, so be sure to check it out!  I colored the little guy the same way as on the clipboard.  I'm not sure if you can see, but I forgot to mention that I gave him little pink cheeks with the marker as well. :)

One of the fabulous things about the Textured Impressions embossing folders is that you can emboss just part of your paper!  I love the folders, and I always just have to buy a new one as soon as SU! comes out with another exclusive.  When I ran it through, it didn't create a crease there at the end of the embossing (since the paper hangs out of the folder, it may show that part by creasing), but I wanted to set it apart from the image with the Crushed Curry ribbon.  I applied a rub-on from the Chit-Chat pack on two lines, then punched it out with the Large Oval punch, matting with the Scallop Oval.  Here's the inside view:


I know the Panera Bread gift card doesn't really match, so just imagine it does!  I had a Starbucks gift card somewhere here that matched perfectly with my color scheme, but of course I couldn't find it in the wee hours of the morning!  LOL  Anyway, I created a layer with Soft Suede cardstock, and just eyeballed where the Slit Punch would need to be to hold in the gift card.

By the way, the Slit Punch is retiring, so be sure to snatch one up.. it is just perfect for gift card holders and other projects!  I use it all the time!  Plus, this gift set would be just perfect for about anything... just change out the stamped images and sentiment, and you're good to go!

Gift Card Holder supplies:
Stamps:  Very Thankful (retiring)
Ink:  Soft Suede, Tempting Turquoise and Old Olive Classic Stampin' Pads
Paper:  Whisper White, Old Olive, Soft Suede, and Crushed Curry (retiring) cardstock
Accessories/Tools:  Pretty in Pink and Blush Blossom Stampin' Write Markers, Blender Pen, Crushed Curry 1/2" Polka-Dot Grosgrain Ribbon (retiring), Stampin' Sponges, Vintage Brads (retiring), Chit-Chat Rub-ons (retiring), Perfect Polka Dots Textured Impressions Folder, Big Shot, Slit Punch (retiring), Large Oval Punch, Scallop Oval Punch

Ok, now here's the standard-sized card I created, using Mojo Monday's sketch #142 and Stampin' Celebration's Inspiration Challenge #6...


I won't go into too much detail, as I don't want to bore you and you can probably figure out what I did... well, I colored in the cute little turtle and his cart of love with ink pads and a Blender Pen.  I then cut out a couple of shapes from the Pink Flamingo DSP (same sheet as behind the embossed piece) and adhered that to the turtle's shell to give it a little something extra.  I guess everything else is pretty self-explanatory (maybe??), but let me know if you want to know anything else about it!

Very Thankful card supplies:
Stamps:  Very Thankful (retiring)
Ink:  Jet Black StazOn ink, and Certainly Celery, Garden Green, Basic Gray, Going Gray, Cameo Coral, Ruby Red, and Creamy Caramel Classic Stampin' Pads (the last 4 are retiring!)
Paper:  Pink Flamingo Designer Series Paper (retiring), and Certainly Celery, Garden Green and Whisper White cardstock
Accessories/Tools:  Blender Pen, Pretty in Pink 5/8" Satin Ribbon, Certainly Celery 1/4" Grosgrain Ribbon, Circle Designer Brads, Vintage Brads, Square Lattice Textured Impressions Folder, Big Shot, Eyelet Border Punch, Paper Piercing Tool, Mat Pack

On to my next project!  This is one of my favorites, as I really love making these Simply Adorned Charm inserts.  Here are two photos of the insert.. one inside the charm, and one outside of it:



Making this was very simply too!  I first cut down a piece of Kraft cardstock to 1" x 1-1/4", then stamped on it several times with More Mustard ink, using the vine part of the peacock stamp.  I then stamped just the peacock with Real Red, then layered over the image with the "thankful" part of the turtle stamp (see card above) in Chocolate Chip.  Finished it off with a couple of flowers cut from the "Thanks so Much" stamp from the set to create some pretty accents.  I cut off the backs of the Small Clear Rhinestone Brads with my Craft & Rubber Scissors (these babies cut through so many different materials!) so that it won't be too thick to fit in the charm, then adhered these with Mini Glue Dots.  I love it!

Simply Adorned Charm Insert supplies:
Stamps:  Very Thankful (retiring)
Ink:  Tempting Turquoise, Old Olive and Chocolate Chip Classic Stampin' Pads
Paper:  Kraft and Very Vanilla cardstock
Accessories/Tools:  More Mustard and Real Red Stampin' Write Markers, Simply Adorned 1" x 1-1/4" Rectangle Charm, Simply Adorned 18" Chain, Small Clear Rhinestone Brads, Paper Piercing Tool

One more project!  Hope you've been sticking with me so far. :)  I wanted to show off all of the stamps in the set, so here's the fourth and final one (the flowers are also shown in the above charm insert):


This adorable little card is perfect for tucking in with a gift!  I love the look of a clean white card with images stamped in colors.  So pretty!  To create the rows along the bottom, I paper pierced using the Mat Pack template.  I'm glad the Mat Pack isn't retiring.. that's definitely a tool I use a lot too!

Simply Adorned Charm Insert supplies:
Stamps:  Very Thankful (retiring)
Ink:  Rich Razzleberry Classic Stampin' Pad
Paper:  Whisper White, and Soft Suede textured cardstock
Accessories/Tools:  Bermuda Bay 1/2" Polka-Dot Grosgrain Ribbon, Paper Piercing Tool, Mat Pack

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. Loved reading how you did all of these, Melissa! I still am so in love with that turtle!!!

    Your flower certainly turned out beautifully, too. I didn't realize you had made that!! What a beauty!!

    You have so much talent!! Love what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to Carol B!
    Thanks for the instructions Melissa. As always I am in awe and so inspired by your work. You know I think YOU ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every one of your projects is just beautiful. I love each of them!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment.. it makes my day!