Friday, October 15, 2010

Mini Notebook Cover with Designer Fabric

Happy Friday!!

I started this project a few weeks ago, and then put it aside for a while.  I finished it today!

I thought it would be cute to use Stampin' Up!'s beautiful new Designer Fabric to create a cover for a notebook.  Well, I had some mini composition notebooks laying around that I found on clearance last year, so I created this...


I love how it turned out!  I actually used the Deck the Halls Designer Fabric from the Holiday Mini Catalog... so as you can see, the fabric is more than just for the holidays!  The mini notebook slides into the cover (like those old textbook covers you used to make out of paper bags for school), so it's replaceable when you fill up the notebook.

To start out, I measured and cut a piece of Crumb Cake cardstock to make a "folder".  This just covers the outside of the notebook, leaving excess space around the edges to allow for the sewing.  I attached some of the fabric to the front of the Crumb Cake cardstock using the Anywhere Glue Stick, then created a pocket on the inside to hold the notebook.  I attached the Chantilly Crochet Trim, then sewed around the edges with my sewing machine (you can see a little blooper there on the bottom edge where my needle kind of skipped a little... oops!  Hey, adds to the homemade look, right?).  The edges of the fabric on the inside are finished, not left raw.

Here's the inside:


And here's the back, which I left pretty plain:


To create the tag, I first punched a piece of Naturals Ivory cardstock with the Decorative Label Punch (love this new punch!), then stamped the Music Notes wheel across twice with Crumb Cake ink.  I then stamped "notes" in Early Espresso with the Sweet Shoppe Lowercase Alpha set (my new favorite alpha), and distressed the edges with Crumb Cake ink.  Next, I adhered it to the front with Multipurpose Liquid Glue, and hand-sewed it to the front.  Tip: It was so easy to create the straight line of holes with the Mat Pack and Paper Piercing Tool before sewing!  I also hand-sewed the buttons.


Aren't those flowers sweet?  They were created using the Floral Fusion Sizzlits die, and Always Artichoke and Early Espresso cardstock.  I curled the edges to give them a little extra dimension.  A gorgeous Antique Brad finished off the bigger flower.  :)

And of course, I had to add one of my butterflies.  They seemed like the perfect finishing touch!

Well, I have to go cook dinner.  Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you have a great weekend!

P.S.  Don't forget that the Clearance Blitz ends on Monday, 10/18!

Mini Notebook Cover supplies:
Stamps:  Sweet Shoppe Lower Alpha
Ink:  Early Espresso, Always Artichoke and Crumb Cake
Paper:  Crumb Cake, Naturals Ivory, Always Artichoke, and Early Espresso cardstock
Accessories/Tools:  Deck the Halls Designer Fabric, Linen Thread, Chantilly Crochet Trim, Music Notes wheel, Antique Brad, Neutrals Designer Brads, Beautiful Wings Embosslits die, Floral Fusion Sizzlits die, Decorative Label Punch, Big Shot, sewing machine and thread

8 comments:

  1. I really love this, Melissa!! What great colors, which are not your usual choices. This is very pretty. Love the soft subtleness of it!

    Another great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my - another gorgeous Melissa creation! How clever of you to make it reuseable. Will you add me to your Christmas list? I'd love ANYTHING made by you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Project Melissa! Great gift idea. I have a bunch of these notebooks, somewhere . . lol
    Kim - stitcher46

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is stunning, Melissa! Thanks for the idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea - don't know why I've been so slow to dig into my fabric! You've inspired me.

    Can we see the picture of the inside? It's not showing up, at least in my browser.

    Aloha,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I'm with Kathi. Add me to the Christmas list! This is utterly gorgeous. Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really beautiful and unique. I haven't seen anyone else use the fabric to make a book cover..and it's the perfect thing for books!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! I love it!! and I have that fabric (2 packages) sitting and needing to be used!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment.. it makes my day!